Friday, September 27, 2013

You're Gonna Miss This

  Today I couldn't help but smile when my real life was almost word for word one of my favorite country songs. We've had two different sicknesses sweep through our house in the last two weeks which prevented me from ringing the plumber to fix our garbage disposal on it's last leg. I got tired of pushing the reset button and *hoping* it would work so I called them out to take a look. Here was the scene:

 As the plumber is pulling up, Alia drops the remote on her big toe, apparently causing 
enough pain to bring on the tears and cries (I'm sure it doesn't help that she is 
currently the one with the fever.) I pick her up to comfort her and go to open the door.
She's on my hip, crying in obvious agony, a tiny drop of blood forming above
the toenail, and I lead the plumber to the problem source. He's inspecting things under the sink and Alia's pain escalates enough to very loud wailing now. 
My phone starts ringing and I see it's Josh so I answer, trying to
hear him over Alia's sobs. I chuckle to myself remembering
 these words...

"Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says They don't bother me. 
I've got 2 babies of my own. 
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but ...

[Chorus]
You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around 
You may not know it now 
But you're gonna miss this
You're gonna miss this
Yeah, you're gonna miss this"

   Yep, that's right, my own life almost word for word Trace Adkins' "You're gonna miss this". If that doesn't wake you up, I don't know what will. I purposely decided to grin and accept that I am living "that life". You know, the one that's overwhelming. Exhausting. Dirty. The one that keeps me from showering most days. The one who's work day doesn't end at 5pm.  Some may call it mundane. Unfulfilled. I've heard many people tell me, "Oh I could never do that." And maybe they couldn't. There are days I think I can't. And yet...
   I could not imagine my life any other way. I have three beautiful girls who have crazy hair in the mornings and bad breath. They come and cuddle with me at night when they are afraid or sick. They come running to me when they've been hurt (ie-big toe getting smashed by remote) seeking comfort. They laugh when they hear a strange noise. They love taking showers because it makes them feel "big". I have a life I never dreamed of and little miniature people who depend on me each and every day to lead them in more than just games and play, but in learning to make life decisions. I am raising up the next generation. I am a leader. I am a teacher. I have a whole world depending on the decisions I make today. 
   Does that sound a bit grandiose and extreme?  We must realize that the little daily tasks, bandaging the owwies, cutting up the grapes, listening to the stories, wiping the tears, encouraging and loving when we feel we have anything but that left to give, the day-in-day-out repetition that builds our children into who they will be for tomorrow, is an important job. I will even say a great calling. I accept. I willingly and gratefully take on that challenge and realize that it's only for a short season of my life that I get to have such a daily impact on those around me and that some day my decisions of today will not only affect those at my dinner table but those across the globe. And I know I will once again remember those words to my favorite country song and realize it's true.




If you want to hear the song, here it is.

3 comments: