Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Timely Matter

There comes a time when you realize time itself is flying by. It is just out of your grasp and as soon as you have it within reach, it runs through your grip like a fist full of water. I don't know if it is because much has changed in our lives in the past six months or if that still small voice is just whispering those words in my heart lately, but I continue to hear, "It is fleeting." It is not a heavy ache or disappointing news. It just is. And it causes me to stop in the moment and realize the gift that is right in front of me. It helps me to see what is important and what is not.

I can more clearly see who I am in that moment.

And who I wish to be.

A perfect example was just this week. It was my husband and I's 7th anniversary. Unbeknownst to me, that is quite a feat. The young man at The Buckle all but sang and danced when I told him how long we had been married. It seemed like he had heard me wrong and thought I answered 60 years. The other sales associates were in equal awe at the length of time and joined in with amazement. 

We do not get out much for dates and such. Maybe once or twice a year? I do not believe I am exaggerating. But this year, I decided I was going to make it special even with the kiddos. It would be a night in. 

I made his favorite meal and the girls and I decorated the home with homemade drawings and paintings of our family. We made a scavenger hunt for Josh to begin the evening when he got home from work. The girls could not resist leading him to each post. 

After a candlelit dinner with the five of us, I turned on a piano CD we purchased on our honeymoon and we took turns slow dancing with one another. In the candlelight, my middle child told us to all hold hands and that we could dance as a family. She instructed us in our circle to move in and out, "everyone come together and love each other...now back out..." This continued for quite some time. 

I was present in the dance moves and the nostalgic melodies that were playing, but in my mind I stepped back. I drank it all in. 

Looked at my children's faces.
Saw my husband's embraces.
Smelled the scents of the burning candles.

I believe the best moments can slip us by and before we know, time has past and much has changed. There is so much to be said of enjoying the here and now. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. The greatest and most beautiful moments are right in our living room.
Underneath our very noses. 

There is magic and beauty beyond comparison in the here and now and we can drink freely of it if we will see with our hearts and go beyond what is just in front of our eyes.

Love your life. Whatever is in your reach right now, take hold of it, for it will be gone in a passing moment. You have a beauty all your own~ enjoy the blessing that it is.

Here are just a few of our recent beautiful moments.





Until next time!
Sincerely,
Melanie



No comments:

Post a Comment