Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Adventure 101

Somewhere right smack dab in the middle of living life, you either get slapped with the reality of this truth or you swallow it bit by bit until you have accepted it fully~ life is an adventure. 

One right after the other really.
Never ending.
A-just-when-you-think-things-might-calm-down-they-do-not kind of adventure.

Right now we are living 1000 miles away from home (that is not figuratively), with our stuff sprawled out in 7 different locations while our new home is being built. 

Exciting? Yes. Easy? I could think of other words…

And all this after a month of trying to keep the home looking untouched while trying to sell it. And just before selling it, realizing the brand new roof was in shambles. But before that, adjusting to life with a family of 5. And yet before that, an insanely difficult pregnancy that caused my oldest to recently tell me she in fact did NOT want to have children because she did not want to have to lay on the couch sick all day. 

I am certain of one thing~ once the new home is completed and the adventure of moving in is finished and all seems good and well in the world, more adventure awaits. And I have learned (or maybe I am still bit by bit learning it) that it always will. 


While the love of my life is back in our hometown, the girls and I are surrounded by family, loving and supporting us. We have unpacked our bags but judging by my dreams, I have not mentally "unpacked" all that above stuff. And maybe I never will. Maybe life is not meant to be understood and someday when we finally have the time to "process" everything we have gone through, we will not even want to. 

After a phone call of missing one another the other night, my husband text me and told me he noticed a magnet on his parents' fridge that has been there probably 20 years and he just then finally read the words:
            

                      "It is good to have an end to journey toward,
                       But it is the journey that matters in the end."

I find those words very fitting. Fitting to whatever experiences you are encountering right now. If life is crazy, it's an adventure. If life is hard, it's an adventure. If life is exciting, it's an adventure. 

You will never walk through this same "adventure" again. And maybe that is a reassuring thought. Either way, it is your life and you only get to walk the steps before you one time.

Just one time.

You may take detours, miss a turn, and travel roads you never expected to see, however, it is your own adventure that no one can or will experience for you.

As best you can, enjoy the journey. 

Learn what you can from it.

Surround yourself with those you love and who love you.

Smile and take on the day. You never know what is right around the corner.




No comments:

Post a Comment